Thursday, October 16, 2014
September - 100 years ago
The present Starview UMC, York County, was dedicated September 27, 1914, as the newest building in the Pennsylvania Conference of the United Brethren Church. This structure replaced the Jerusalem Church which had been dedicated one mile to the east, by the existing cemetery on Codorus Furnace Road, June 22, 1856. The class had been organized in 1850 and met in a spring house and in private homes until erecting their first building in 1850. That structure burned in early 1856 and was replaced by the Jerusalem Church. The congregation was affected by the 1889 denominational split, and those remaining loyal to the Old Constitution erected Mt. Hebron church, just off Codorus Furnace Road on Mt. Hebron Church Road. Both the Jerusalem and Mt. Hebron buildings are gone – the former dismantled so that the stones from the foundation could be used in the foundation of the present 1914 structure, and the later razed after the membership dwindled and merged into the Strinestown UBOC congregation.
October - 50 years ago
The Board of Missions of the Eastern Conference of the Evangelical United Brethren Church met October 13, 1964, at the United Church Center in Harrisburg. Decisions made included the following:
Permission for the Charlton congregation to sell a lot and residence at the north end of their property and to proceed, provided there is sufficient “demonstrated increases in pledges or actual giving,” with preliminary plans to provide “much needed additional space and facilities.”
Permission for the Highspire congregation to purchase the residence at 176 Second Street as “essential to a planned program of improvement to the church property.”
Approval of preliminary drawings for a 7,800 square foot Christian Education addition to be erected at Grace Church in Millersburg at an estimated cost of $70,000.