Thursday, May 3, 2018

Commentary: Always fresh and new

By Lisa Bender

As Executive Secretary of Connectional Ministries, I most enjoyed responding to the requests of clergy and laypersons. Whether it was a Safe Sanctuaries question, inquiries about conference grants, the needs of any of our committees, publicizing upcoming events through the Ministry Resource Packets, or sending a bulk mailing - whatever I could do to help was satisfying to me. Changing technologies and co-workers allowed many parts of my position to change over the years so it was always fresh and new.

Being exposed to the workings of the denomination and spending time with our top-notch conference staff helped me to learn and to stretch. We made many memories as we traveled in the districts leading workshops during our “On the Road” and “E-Tour” days. I was glad to use my organizational skills as we prepared for Annual Conferences.

Thank you to my DCMs, Rev. Tom Salsgiver, and Rev. Mike Bealla, for being terrific colleagues, to everyone on staff, and to all of you with whom I interacted over the years.

Serving as a General and Jurisdictional Conference delegate for two quadrenniums was a highlight. At General Conference, I met leaders of United Methodists for Kairos Response just after my first trip to Palestine/Israel. Volunteering with UMKR is my passion - invite me to talk about it.

In retirement, I will continue to advocate on behalf of my Palestinian friends, will continue serving as Mission Central’s secretary, will head the General Conference 2019 Delegation, continue as chair of the Episcopacy Committee, and as a member of the Mission and Outreach Team. On Sundays, you’ll find me singing with the Grace UMC, Harrisburg, church choir.

Family needs will fill a lot of time as I help care for my elderly parents, follow the adventures of two grown sons, and do some traveling with my husband, Wayne. Trips to weddings in California and Greece and swimming in my pool (and other exercise) will give me a good start on retirement.

***
Thank you, Lisa, for the many ways you helped, encouraged, taught,
supported, 
and blessed the Conference staff.