Thursday, May 3, 2018

From Where I Sit: So glad we had this time together

By Rev. Dr. Tom Salsgiver, Director of Connectional Ministries

As I sit down to write this last article as the Director of Connectional Ministries, there are two songs running through my mind. One was the theme song from the brilliant comedy-variety show of Carol Burnett. Her husband at the time, Joe Hamilton, wrote the lyrics for the song. A short part of the song says, “I’m so glad we had this time together ... before you know it comes the time we have to say so long.”

It is the way she closed her show for 11 seasons.

There is another song, a gospel song, that became one of the most popular songs of Vestal Goodman. Vestal and her husband were regular singers with the Gaither Homecoming Tours. One of her biggest hits, which became one of her testimony songs, was, “I wouldn’t take nothin’ for my journey.”

In some ways it is the way I feel – I’m so glad I’ve had the total of 10 years as the Director of Connectional Ministries with you the people of the former Central Pennsylvania Conference, and now the Susquehanna Conference. It has been a privilege beyond anything I could have imaged to walk with you as we explored some new territories, as we worked and labored together for Christ and His kingdom.

God has been so amazing in the experiences, the ministries, and the work that we have been able to do as a conference that, indeed, I wouldn’t take nothin’ for this journey.

It has been beyond anything I could have imagined.

We know as a conference it’s not always been easy and it certainly won’t be easy in the next two years. But God has been faithful beyond all else and we can depend on God’s faithfulness in the days, months, and years to come.

I remember Bill Easum in a prayer he prayed when he was preaching at Wesley Church, Bloomsburg. He said, “If God never does another thing for me, God has done more than I deserve.” That is exactly where I am as I move into this next part of my journey.

Someone asked me if I was sad at deciding to retire. I can unequivocally say absolutely not! It’s time – time to retire and time for a new person with a new vision, and new leadership ideas to lead the conference into the next faithful step of God’s call.

The staff of the Connectional Ministries is poised to follow Christ and Jason into the next chapter of mission and ministry.

I’m so grateful to God and to the bishop for appointing Jason Mackey to be the next DCM. I look forward to seeing where God will lead Jason and the conference. I know that Jason is creative, forward looking, always open to and being on the cutting edge of mission and ministry. That’s where the annual conference is, and I believe Jason is the best person to lead the staff and the annual conference forward.

I’m so glad we’ve had this time together as DCM and as a conference. I’m so grateful to God for all the people that I have walked beside.

I would, however, be remiss if I didn’t ask forgiveness to anyone along this journey I might have offended, was short with, or did not live up to the expectations of what was assumed in my ministry. Please forgive me.

It is with a joyful and full heart that I look forward to the next chapter that God is calling me to.

It is with a heart of expectation that I stand on the sideline and cheer Jason, the staff, and the annual conference as this conference runs faithfully the race that God calls us to run.

Blessings.