Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Equipping Vital Congregations

I’m Home Again, But Not Yet Settled

By Rev. Gary A. Shockley, Director of Equipping Vital Congregations

Central Pennsylvania is a special place to me. It’s home. Having moved here from New Jersey in the 1971, I wandered up the road from our place in Manada Hill to discover a church that would forever change the trajectory of my life. Rev. Robert Miller, then pastor of Mt. Calvary UMC, befriended me, confirmed me, helped the Spirit awaken a call to ministry within me, and mentored me along the way. I wear the cross he wore on Sunday mornings. It was a gift from his family placed around my neck at his memorial service. In him, and a nurturing congregation, I found a home.

I met my wife Kim in Central Pennsylvania at a District Committee on Ordained Ministry meeting. We were married at Trinity UMC in Hummelstown, where she grew up. Kim also responded to a call to ministry which for her unfolded as a seminary trained Lay Professional Minister. Together we forged a life of ministry. Together we created a loving and nurturing home where we raised two sons who are now having children of their own. Home is expanding for us.
Along the way, Kim and I have been blessed to serve churches ranging in size from 8 to 5,000 members across six states and four jurisdictions. We partnered with God, and some incredibly gifted and passionate people, to revitalize congregations who were figuring out what it meant to create a spiritual home for their neighbors. We then answered the call to start two new UM churches in Western PA and Central FL with the goal of inviting people to discover or rediscover finding a home in God and among God’s people. Home is all encompassing.

I was invited to join a team called Path 1, started by the General Church in 2008, with the goal of starting 650 new communities of faith across the United States. We were tasked with inviting newer, younger, and more diverse people to experience being at home with God. I became the Executive Director of an incredible team of called and gifted people. Together we witnessed a movement where God planted over 700 new communities of faith over four years. Path 1 continues to guide this movement in new and innovative ways and has an ongoing relationship with our annual conference. Home is all inclusive.

While serving as the Director of Congregational Development in the Western NC Conference I experienced a movement of God’s Spirit leading the church to expand God’s home through Missional Church Plants and Fresh Expressions. These experiential forms of ministry are reigniting a movement that reclaims church as a verb more than a noun and designed to be relational, fluid and inviting. It’s not a new idea. I think this is how Jesus and the Wesleys did it! Home is experienced in innovative ways.

And now, I am here. Home, where it all started for me. Life has come full circle. I have a lot of memories here. A lot of friends and family. But I’m not the same person I was when I started here. Life’s experiences and rapid cultural changes make this a different home for me. I have to learn where God has been at work here and discern how my accumulated gifts and experiences might contribute to the new things God is already working on in and through you. I’ll trust you to help me find a new home here again.

I am blessed to build upon the good work of so many people, including Dennis Otto, Kay Kotan, Cindy Weaver, the Cabinet, Conference and District teams, clergy and laity who have forged great work here over these last several years. I will learn from their efforts as I step into, what I have heard our Bishop speak so passionately about, The Beloved Community. I love that. It’s evocative, inviting, and inspiring. I’m ready to make the Beloved Community my new home. But what excites me more is the opportunity to join you all in the journey of helping others experience and become part of God’s Beloved Community where we are all truly siblings in Christ.

Yes, I’ve been here before, but I am not the same person I was when I left. I’m ready for another new beginning. I’m ready to come home but not to become settled until everyone I meet receives the good news that in Jesus, God has made a home here with each and every one of us-no exceptions! Jesus said, “My Father’s house has room to spare.” (Jn. 14:2)

I’m home…but not settled, because there’s still great work to be done here! I’m looking forward to joining you all in his work.

Blessings in our journey together!

Gary