Tuesday, July 23, 2019

You Filled the Trailer and More!


By Douglas Hoy, SUSUMC Disaster Response Coordinator

A team is only as good as the tools and training available to it. I learned this valuable lesson repeatedly during my time in the military. I observed teams being sent into the field with all the tools required to successfully complete their assigned tasks. Unfortunately, I have also been part of a few ill-equipped teams, and the outcomes were less desirable. It was not for lack of effort or attempt. Neither was the consequence a result of questionable knowledge or skills. We just did not have the right tools for the job.

Imagine how things would have turned out for Noah if God had limited His instructions to the first part of Genesis 5:14, “So make yourself an ark….” No further guidance. Not a single dimension. No tools. Just, go build an ark. Keep in mind, God had just revealed His plan to destroy the earth and the people on it. The outcome could have been less than desirable for Noah and his family. Fortunately, God did provide him with some very specific instructions and tools, so he could do the job.

 

A few months ago, the Disaster Response Ministry started to plan the “Fill the Trailer” campaign. And, we asked everyone to prayerfully seek how God would want them to support this endeavor. We placed our trust in Him and put our reliance on Him to bless us abundantly with all we needed to “abound in every good work” (2 Corinthians 9:8).

Because of that trust and reliance, and the generosity of many throughout the Conference, the ministry has been blessed beyond measure. The “Fill the Trailer” campaign produced a plethora of tools, equipment, and a brand-new response trailer, as well as financial donations, that will further equip the ministry and enable it to meet the needs of those facing rising waters, raging winds, and recovery from the destruction that occurs.

Early Blessings

One of those blessings arrived even before “Fill the Trailer” was officially promoted. After discussing the possibility of undertaking such a campaign at a staff meeting, I was approached by a co-worker who was interested in helping. Ann Watts, Conference Finance and Administration team member, asked what kind of tools and equipment we needed. I detailed the needs of the ministry and told her any donations, new or used, would be accepted. She explained she had a collection of tools that belonged to her husband, who passed away a few years earlier. She was in the process of moving and did not want to take the them with her. She intended to donate them to various other organizations until she heard about the campaign.

“I wanted to make sure the tools went to a good cause and where there was a need,” said Watts. “When I found out the ministry needed tools for the trailer, I wanted to give it the opportunity to identify what it could use before I gave them away.”


After further conversation, we settled on a date and time to meet. When I arrived, Ann showed me the tools being stored in her garage, shared stories about some of them, and explained how her husband would save everything because “you just never know when you might need it.” When we finished looking at the tools, I politely thanked Ann and started to examine them closer. Ann then informed me there were more tools being stored in a shed in her back yard. I was shocked. I couldn’t imagine what the term “more tools” meant because I was already staring at a large collection. As it turned out, in addition to the saws, drills, a sander, and countless hand tools, Ann had shovels, rakes, a few shop vacs, some extension cords, and a couple of very comfortable folding chairs. By the time I sorted through everything, the bed of my truck was completely full.
“I’m just glad the tools will be used to help the disaster ministry meet the needs of the people it helps,” said Watts.

With a little trust and faith, our God “will meet all [our] needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:19). But, He was not finished.

 A Legacy of Service

Three weeks before Annual Conference, Debbie Ackley, in the Lewisburg District Office, forwarded an e-mail to me. As I read it, my eyes welled with tears.

“This is Warren Baughman’s daughter, Kathy, writing. As you know, Dad passed away two months ago, and we are in the middle of cleaning out the house. What you may not know is, Dad had quite an extensive workshop and tool supply. He also had an intense desire to serve, even up into the last month of his life. He was lamenting the fact that he couldn’t go help somewhere.”

I called Kathy (Baughman) Frey the next day. As we talked, she explained how she was working through her dad’s e-mail account as part of the “house cleaning” process and, by chance, came across an e-mail promoting “Fill the Trailer.”

“He worked extensively with affected churches up and down the Susquehanna River after Hurricane Agnes in 1972,” she said. “Dad led a rebuilding team from Berwick after Hurricane Katrina.”


During our conversation, I learned there were numerous other clean-up projects in which Rev. Warren L. Baughman, Jr. either organized or participated. Kathy shared with me that she and her brother, Ron, wanted to donate some of the tools and equipment from their father’s basement workshop.

“Many of Dad’s tools are in pristine condition, some even in original boxes,” Kathy explained. “If the Disaster Response Ministry can use them, we want you to have them.”

We arranged to meet and, before I hung up, Kathy informed me that they also wanted to make a financial contribution from their father’s estate to support the ministry. She proceeded to ask about the needs of the ministry and how they could help meet them. While recovering from the emotions that flooded my heart and quickly reviewing the many ideas running through my mind, Kathy asked a very specific question. “Do you need another response trailer?”

In silence, I wrestled with an outpouring of emotions that filled my heart. When I assumed the position of Conference Disaster Response Coordinator, I outlined some goals for the future of the ministry. Some were immediate. Others were more long term and a bit lofty. One of those goals included having a response trailer in each District. Kathy could not have been aware of my goals and her question could have been prompted only by the Holy Spirit.

“And my God will meet all your needs…”


A week later, I drove to Berwick. As I pulled into the driveway, Kathy met me with a warm smile and a welcoming hug. She introduced me to Ron, who was in town from his home in Texas. He took me to the basement workshop, showed me the tools, and shared some stories about his dad. It became quite clear that Ron and his dad had a mutual passion for woodworking. Eventually, Ron stepped back and said, “take what you need, I’ll be over here working on some things.”
Silence filled the room. I felt uncomfortable “taking” what belonged to someone else, even though it was freely being given. Finally, Ron offered his assistance, and, over the next two hours, we explored the workshop, disassembled stands, and carried things to the truck. All the while, Ron shared more stories about his dad and showed me some of his work. When we finished, again I had truck full of tools and equipment. As we secured the items, Kathy shared with me that the hymn, We’ve a Story to Tell to the Nations, was part of the service celebrating her dad’s life.

“Dad had a heart for serving others in their time of need. And, the reason we wanted to donate to the ministry is to enable others to continue dad’s legacy of service and share the story of God’s love.”

As I prepared to leave, Ron, Kathy, and I shared some time in prayer. We shed some tears of sorrow and joy. And, we celebrated the life of their dad and God’s servant, Rev. Warren Baughman, Jr.

As I look back on the past couple of months, it is evident God does provide. All that is required is that we trust and obey. It is also clear the words of that hymn exemplify the calling of God’s people and the mission of the Disaster Response Ministry. We do have a story to tell, one that identifies God “has sent His Son to save us” and “show us that [He] is love. Because of that love, and the knowledge of a Savior who the path of sorrow has trod, we can rest in the assurance that darkness shall turn to dawning, and the dawning to noonday bright, and Christ’s great kingdom shall come on earth, the kingdom of love and light ...in disaster and in life.

For more information or to make a donation email drc@susumc.org.