Monday, January 29, 2018

Creative Insights: New year, new connections

By Janelle Walker, Assistant Director of Communication Ministry

How much time did you spend with God this week? A friend of mine would always ask that when I was too busy for small group. I always had a tough time answering that question. In many ways, it seemed immeasurable and in others I knew I would always come up short. It’s not like I wasn’t putting in the time. Yeah, sometimes my prayer life was lacking and my time in the Bible seemed scarce. But for the most part I was able to keep myself on track. However, I think the real question was and is, “Am I connecting with God?”

Reading the words on the pages of my Bible seemed like enough. I could check it off my list and move on with my day. I understood what I read and always had the greatest of intentions to put it into practice in my daily life. What was missing was a clear connection to what God was telling me; not just discernment and application, but wholehearted belief and sacrifice; thanking God for His Word and the knowledge He had given me; asking God to show me how to use this in my life and the lives of those around me; truly speaking with God regularly and listening to His response.

Making connections with people in your life can be achieved in similar fashion. Sincerely speaking with individuals and actively listening to their responses; thanking them for their time and sharing their thoughts. Imagine approaching relationships with family, friends, congregations, and communities in the same way. Communicating with purpose, honesty, and reverence to individuals and groups can change the dynamic of many disconnected relationships and give them new life to grow into true connections.

I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.” John 15:5