Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Hearts Strangely Warmed - Rev. Joshua Davinsizer


“While the leader was describing the change which God works in the heart through faith in Christ, I felt my heart strangely warmed. I felt I did trust in Christ alone for salvation; and an assurance was given me that He had taken away my sins, even mine, and saved me from the law of sin and death.” — John Wesley, May 24, 1738 

God calls us to tell our story so that others may come to know Jesus Christ. “Hearts Strangely Warmed” was created to share these stories about transformational encounters with the Living God.

Rev. Joshua Davinsizer


When we share our stories of how God called us into ministry, we open ourselves up to how God intimately works in our human story. The retelling of our call stories becomes an act of worship. God does not distinguish between the lofty and the poor, but calls those whose hearts are willing to serve Christ rather than one’s self. From Isaiah and Elijah to John Wesley and Francis Asbury, God takes shy and backwards individuals and uses them to proclaim the Gospel.

My call into ministry began when I was only five years old. I did not know I was being called into ministry, but God’s Holy Spirit was tugging at my soul. When I think back to how God laid the foundation for me to receive my call, I remember that at the age of five the only gift I desired for Christmas was for my very own Bible so I could know God. When I opened that Christmas gift and saw a deep blue leather Bible with my full name embossed on the front right hand corner in gold lettering all my other presents, one’s that other children would be more apt to play with, were untouched for weeks as my entire focus was centered on God’s Word.

As God prepared my heart, the world called me to question ministry as a viable career. I was in eighth grade and the homework assignment was a report on my future career. It might seem trivial as an adult, but as a thirteen-year-old it was an internal struggle to either do what God laid on my heart or to cave to the values and expectations of the secular society. I caved. I brushed aside my inclination into ministry for another report on a career that was deemed more respectable. As conviction crept in, I spent countless nights praying for well over an hour asking God to guide me in the direction He wanted me to follow.

One night, as I prayed, God answered. With my family fast asleep, I sat in bed praying. It was an ordinary night. I heard the voice of God calling me by name, Joshua. Instead of fear, I felt an unexplainable peace pass over me. My anxieties and wonderings of the future ceased. My entire attention was centered on being present with God. The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob called me into pastoral ministry. He calmed my fears of leaving my hometown. God called me to speak truth, even when others would shun it, and revive the hearts of the people—to bring a great awakening so people can experience new life in Christ. In addition to my belief in Christ, my calling into ministry has kept me grounded when life seems chaotic.

After accepting my call at age thirteen, my life changed. God opened doors for me when the doors should have been closed. God opened opportunities when I did not know those opportunities existed. God took a shy teenager who talked too fast when he got nervous and gave me peace and assurance to proclaim God’s Word to whoever will listen.

Joshua (second from right) was ordained as an Elder at the 2019 Susquehanna Annual Conference.