Friday, November 15, 2019

Hearts Strangely Warmed - Pastor Beth Pyles


“While the leader was describing the change which God works in the heart through faith in Christ, I felt my heart strangely warmed. I felt I did trust in Christ alone for salvation; and an assurance was given me that He had taken away my sins, even mine, and saved me from the law of sin and death.” — John Wesley, May 24, 1738 

God calls us to tell our story so that others may come to know Jesus Christ. “Hearts Strangely Warmed” was created to share these stories about transformational encounters with the Living God.

Pastor Beth Pyles
I grew up knowing God and attending church, however, the older I got the further away from God I was. In 2000, I would say a sentence to myself — that looking back was not just a sentence but a prayer — “When I turn 30, everything is going to change”.

God, working only how He could work, answered my “prayer.” On my 30th birthday, I met my husband on a blind date and my life changed. We married and moved from the Washington, D.C. area to my hometown of Breezewood, Pennsylvania. In July, we will have been together 19 years and November 2nd is our 17th wedding anniversary.

God used the passing of my grandmother in June, 2006, to get my attention. I knew that if I wanted to be reunited with her, I had to make changes. In September, 2006, my husband and I walked through the doors at Everett United Methodist Church, not knowing what we would find. The Pastor, Dick Williams, his wife Pam, and the people that welcomed and accepted us set us on our path and ignited the passion that we have for God. It was that group of people that loved and walked with us, that looked past our tattoos and outward appearance, that guided us to where we are today.

I allowed the Lord to use me in any capacity; outreach, visiting, helping in the church office, Altoona Volunteers In Mission, local VIM. I was a willing vessel, trusting where God was leading. In 2010, our Pastor Bob Stroyzk, suggested I speak at our Saturday night service. Suddenly, I wanted to drop the anchor and not be such a willing vessel! However, as an introvert I knew that whatever discomfort public speaking may cause me, it was nothing compared to what Jesus Christ endured for me, so, I said yes.

My calling into pulpit ministry was a quiet whisper, but my calling into a relationship with Jesus Christ was a thundering roar. Reflecting on my journey from 2006 until now, there were significant God moments. One was around 2008 during a worship service. I asked God why I couldn’t have been a mom and clearly, I heard the Lord say, “Because I have other plans for you.” As I walk with God, I have come to realize that those “other plans” change, but what can’t change is my willingness to trust God when the plans change. The second moment was before starting my first appointment as a licensed local pastor in 2012. I was praying and asking God if I should cover my tattoos, remove my piercings, and look more conservative. I clearly heard the Lord say, “I called you exactly how you are.”

As I live each day being authentic in who God has called me to be, I encourage others to do the same. One of my favorite Scriptures is Joshua 1:9, “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” I know that the Lord has certainly been with me throughout my life and that I do not have to be afraid or discouraged for whatever plans God has for me God will always go with me.

Beth was commissioned as a Provisional Elder at the 2019 Susquehanna Annual Conference.