Monday, September 16, 2019

If it Doesn’t Challenge You, it Won’t Change You!


By Douglas Hoy, Disaster Response Coordinator

Last month, I had the opportunity to attend a sports training camp for diabetics. The mission of the camp is to provide attendees with Type One Diabetes (T1D) with an opportunity to learn more about the disease, train their bodies and minds, connect with others who have the disease, and grow in their management of it. The activities challenged my body and mind beyond understanding and expectation. Early on, during a 26-mile bicycle ride, I found myself falling behind a group of 20 riders. In my attempts to catch them, I exhausted myself and continued to fall back. After a few miles of pushing myself and struggling up the rolling hills of Lancaster County, I had become tired. My mind wrestled with the thought of quitting; wanting to return to my hotel room where it was much cooler. I could hide from the difficult situation and get some rest. But, one of the coaches had other plans.

Seeing me struggle, he fell back to join me. The first thing I noticed was his calm, reassuring voice. “You’re a powerful man. But you can’t keep up with the skinny kids.” (We were both what is considered in some circles ‘Clydesdale’ athletes.) He then began instructing me on the mental and physical techniques necessary to harness that power and overcome the challenges I faced, including those hills. As the week progressed, this coach stayed with me. He prepared me, reassured me, and rode beside me to complete every ride, all of which were over 20 miles.


Are you being challenged?

What challenges do you face? In your church? In your profession? In your personal life? Is it something you should consider leaving at the foot of the cross? Life can sometimes mimic my bike ride. We experience hills and valleys or good times and bad times. On some occasions, we are served with peaches and cream, while on other days we seem to get all the lemons we can handle. And, when it seems as though there is no way we can tackle another inch of that hill, God reminds us that He will be there for us. In fact, scripture tells us He has gone before us and will be with us. “He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged” (Deuteronomy 31:8). How encouraging is that?

In God, we have our own personal coach who is willing to leave the other 99 to come to rescue us. He will reassure us in our time of need. He will provide the reminder that the power resides within us. We just need to harness it. And, when it would be so easy to give in or take the easy way out, He will walk beside us and help us overcome the struggle we are facing. All we need to do is trust Him.
As I was being physically challenged by those rides, I found myself apologizing to the coach for keeping him from being with the group. I appreciated his help but felt badly that I was taking up so much of his time. His response added validity to the lesson he was trying to teach. “I’ve been there. I’ve ridden these hills before. And, when I was a camper, I spent my time with the group. But I am a coach now. It’s my job to make sure you get to the top of that hill, and the next, and the next.” Essentially, he was saying “been there, done that.” And, as I reflect on that experience, I realize God often tells us the same thing. He has spent time on earth, among us. He has been here and done it all. John 16:33 explains, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
He has overcome the WORLD! Not just my struggles up a rolling hill … not merely my diabetes … not only the heartache and stress that each of us may be experiencing daily. Our great, big God has overcome the world! He has conquered everything.

Are you being changed?

Sometimes, disasters come in the form of powerful winds and torrential rains. While other times, they appear during the quietness of a bike ride on a summer day when the sky is blue, and the winds are calm. These disasters in life should not surprise us or consume our thoughts for very long because scripture reminds us, they will happen. In James 1:2-4, we learn there will be “trials of various kinds” and our faith will be tested. But the encouragement in this message is that we should “Consider it pure joy” because, through these tests we will develop perseverance, which will allow us to “be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”

While it was not necessarily a pleasant experience struggling up those hills, as the week ended, I came to the realization that I had developed some endurance and the ability to conquer them. And, I did feel a sense of joy and accomplishment. But that enjoyment and ability cannot be sustained without some persistence. If I stop working to develop and grow, I will slowly cease to mature. When I fail to face the challenges before me, I will not have the opportunity to change.

Disasters happen every day. Some of them are small and can be handled on a personal or one on one basis. Others occur on a larger scale and can be very destructive. Sometimes, we find ourselves as the victim, while other times we can be the person coming to the rescue. Both circumstances can be challenging. Where are you? And, what is God calling you to do? Will you trust Him? Will you allow Him to change you?

For more information about Susquehanna Conference Disaster Response email drc@susumc.org or call 717-766-7441 x3402. You can also find out more on the web at www.susmb.org or www.facebook.com/SUSDisasterResponse.