Monday, January 11, 2021

EQUIP: Wait! God is Doing WHAT?


By Rev. Gary Alan Shockley, Director of Equipping Vital Congregations

“Do not remember the former things, or consider the things of old. I am about to do a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.” Isaiah 43:18-19 (NRSV) 

I believe God guided me to this passage in February when I led devotions for our EVC Team retreat. Little did I know then that Covid-19 was already lurking in the shadows. We opened our hearts and minds to scripture and sensed the Spirit’s leading as we expressed our mutual desire to become even more effective in our work together. We formed our plans. We had direction! It was very good. And then Covid. (I can’t wait for the time when I can end a thought or a sentence without adding those three words! How about you?) 

This scripture from Isaiah 43 has followed me around this past year like a voice of hope echoing through the chaos and the fear that has threatened all of us on planet earth. 

This morning, I went back to this passage but felt guided this time to the chapter before it. God says something astounding! I never saw it before or maybe I never paid any mind. “For a long time I have held my peace, I have kept still and restrained myself; now I will cry out like a woman in labor. I will gasp and pant.” (Isaiah 42:14) 

Now, couple this with my opening scripture: “Now I will cry out like a woman in labor. I will gasp and pant. I am about to do a new thing, now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?” 

God is giving birth! Wait…what? What on earth does this mean? God giving birth? 

I have never given birth but I was right there when it happened-twice. The life inside was hidden from view. I knew it was there. I made preparations to receive it. I waited with excitement, and honestly, a little trepidation. And then there it was. Bam! Right before me. In my arms. In the world for all to see! I was never the same again. The whole wide world was never the same again! I had NO idea how much this new life would change EVERYTHING! 

These days I carry around within me a strange sense of expectation. It was very small in the beginning of this mess but it has been growing. I’m finding myself asking, ‘What IS this? What’s going on?’ And I find myself leaning forward on tip toe and with eyes wide open straining to see. See what? And I’ve been speaking with others, pastors and lay folk alike, who have also been carrying around this strange sense of pregnant pause. They too have been leaning forward asking questions—of God. ‘What’s happening? What are you up to? What do you need from us?’ 

All along God has been crying out, “I’m pregnant! I’m about to birth new life, new possibilities, new hopes and dreams, new chances to be whom I created you to be. And I want YOU to be the mid-wives.” Silence. What can one say to this? I mean the promise is so spectacular. The implications so earth shattering. The invitation so startling! Silence. Reflection. Longing is all I’ve been able to offer back. Until now.

Yes God! Do it! Continue the fulfillment of your promises and purposes for us. Keep us from shrinking back into our familiar lives. Free us from the indifference that has rendered us bland in a world that longs for the vibrant flavor palette that only you can give. Help us leave behind the familiar things that have held us in place. Free us from the fear of change because there can be no new life when we allow fear to blind us and bind us to a past that was no longer working anyway. Help us ‘forget the former things’ to free up the space we need in our heads and hearts to ‘perceive the new things’ and then help to birth them. 

When these words from Isaiah 43 blew into my heart like a mighty rush of wind this thought appeared in prayer: ‘Who am I, now that I am no longer who I used to be? And I would expand that to include you and your community of faith and invite you to pray in preparation for the birth of whatever God is doing among us: Who are WE becoming, now that we are no longer who we used to be?’

Through all the “gasping and panting” our laboring God is calling us to be the midwives of what is about to be born- in you, in your church, and in this waiting world. What will be our response? Let’s choose faith over fear and commitment over complacency! 

This is not the time to throw up our hands and walk away. Don your mask, cleanse your hands, lean forward—God is about to give birth. Are you ready?