Friday, July 9, 2021

Growing Spiritual Transformational Leaders: Let’s GROW!


Article by Leah Williams

Beaver Memorial United Methodist Church, Lewisburg — For a very long time, I was afraid of going to the doctor. Just the thought of having to share intimate information with a stranger made me feel extremely vulnerable. In fact, I would walk into the office with the mindset of “surviving ” my appointment which equated to me sharing less, smiling more and checking the boxes. The idea of needing to survive, consequently kept me from being open and honest with my doctor. These subdue survival tactics subsequently transformed into life-sucking barriers that kept me away from two things I needed most; growth and care. I needed to grow comfortable in being vulnerable with my doctor in order to receive the medical care that I deserved. In truth, growth was not only needed but it was necessary for my survival. In time, I grew to understand the value of sharing oneself with those who are equipped and willing to foster growth in our lives. 

That is why I have decided to become a champion for the GROW! curriculum that was created and faithfully led by Growing Spiritual Transformational Leaders Staff Team of the Susquehanna Conference. The GROW! Curriculum is “ designed to address best practices for leading in liminal spaces – caught between what used to work and what we don’t know will work yet.” Typically designed for lay leaders, Kim Shockley who works as the coordinator for spiritual pathways for spiritual leadership, graciously agreed to lead the congregation of Beaver Memorial and St. Paul’s UMC through an eight- week evening session of the GROW! Curriculum. Truth be told, the GROW! course was absolutely amazing! On a bi-weekly basis, parishioners from both congregations gathered via ZOOM to discuss how we could grow together and individually to transform as spiritual leaders. The topics include: 

Practicing the Presence - Staying in Love with God 

A Generous Gratitude - Gratitude and Extravagant Generosity 

Discipleship as Relationship - Inviting Others into Discipleship Relationships 

Living as Spiritual Transformational Leaders - Personal Discernment, Vision, Strategic Focus 

Change Makers (for God) 

Mentors that Multiply 

Reach: Love in Witness and Action 

Community and Collaboration in the Commons

Simultaneously, Kim challenged and encouraged us; always allowing the Holy Spirit to be the guide. There were times when we were asked to complete an activity that led us outside our comfort zones. This movement set forth our individual strengths and vulnerabilities which ultimately propelled us to experience God in a new kind of way. Similar to my doctor visits, the participants had to be open and willing to receive new tools for spiritual growth. Overall, the feedback from GROW! was positive and transformative. I have had a few members express to me how the GROW! curriculum has elevated their lives ultimately strengthening their connection with God and others. Therefore, if you are searching for a resource, a spiritual gift, that would uplift and encourage spiritual growth with your congregation, I would absolutely recommend GROW!

For more information about using GROW! Living as Spiritual Transformation Leaders as a small group offering for your congregation, contact Kim Shockley at kshockley@susumc.org or 717-766-7395 x 3604 (leave a voice mail – it will be answered!) 

Connect with other Transformational Leaders at facebook.com/groups/growsus