Friday, July 9, 2021

Thanks be to God for You


Bishop Jeremiah J. Park

It is hard to believe that it has been 9 years since I received a phone call that said, “Welcome to the Susquehanna Annual Conference”. After the last Bishop is elected at the Jurisdictional Conference, the Jurisdictional Committee on Episcopacy spends long hours praying and discerning about where Bishops could and should be assigned. Bishops do not have a say in their assignments. We do not apply, nor do we lobby for a certain Annual Conference assignment. In fact, we do not know where we will be going until 6:00 am Friday morning, the last day of Jurisdictional Conference. 

For some it is simply a welcome back. For others it begins with an introduction of who is calling and their Annual Conference. It was then that we were told we would be leaving the New York Annual Conference and coming to the Susquehanna Conference. While Lisa and I knew we could be assigned anywhere in the Jurisdiction, the Susquehanna Conference was not on our radar. But God and the Jurisdictional Committee on Episcopacy had a plan for the Susquehanna Conference and for Lisa and me.

What a surprising and amazingly blessed journey it has been! It is hard to believe that the past 9 years have gone by so quickly. In the blink of an eye, we have moved from the gracious and spirited welcome at the Williamsport Arts Center to now this, my last Annual Conference, where I say farewell to my beloved sisters and brothers in Christ.

The 3rd chapter of Ecclesiastes is entitled, “Everything has its season.” Some of the words that resonate at a time like this are: “a time to be born, and a time to die, a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; a time to keep and a time to throw away…” and so on.

What time is it now for me as we depart?

First, this is a time for me to say, “Thanks be to God for you!”

My heart is overflowing with gratitude as I am having this moment with you.

Two passages truly reflect what’s in my heart for you. The first comes from Philippians 1:3-5. “I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now....” The second passage comes from First Thessalonians 3:9. “How can I thank my God enough for you in return for all the joy I have in the presence of our God because of you?”

Please accept my ‘Thank you! Thank you! And Thank you!’ from the bottom of my heart for your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. God’s people of the Susquehanna Conference, clergy and laity alike, your commitment to discipleship and stewardship, dedication to mission and outreach, and diligence in ministry and service are truly exemplary and exceptional; and you remain committed to all of these things even in the midst of an unprecedented season of multiple challenges. Your faithfulness is outstanding and exemplary. No wonder, I was told, that the Susquehanna Conference was number one among all annual conferences in the United States for 2019 shares of ministry collection. You honored the general church shares of ministry 100% even last year, the most financially challenging year! Mission Central, Seedling Ministry as a loan fund, and the Stewardship Foundation are all in a much stronger place ready to serve more people and congregations! Thanks and praises be to God! No matter what, our people are determined to continue to touch and serve and transform lives with the love of God in the name of Jesus Christ. In the midst of the unprecedented challenges all around us, we see our pastors and congregations continue to offer new and creative ministries as they expand their presence and connection with the people in the community and beyond with determination, courage, and grace for the sake of the good news of God. Indeed, our people remain steadfast and serve with their time, talents, and treasurers to represent the presence of healing and hope for such a time as this. Thanks be to God for you!

My sincere thanks also extends to the Cabinet, conference leaders and staff in the in my office, the conference office and the district offices who constantly, conscientiously, and so freely offer themselves to the ministry of our church. Thanks be to God for all of you! I am truly privileged and humbled to serve our beloved church with such exceptionally gifted leaders and dedicated servants like you. With humbleness and gratitude, I claim that I have had the best cabinet and conference that I can ask for. 

We know that it hasn’t always been easy. There have been difficult decisions and hard choices to make and troubled waters to wade through. But God’s people like you sustained my ministry and kept me going with a profound sense of joy and privilege. I cannot thank you enough for what you have done and will continue to do for Christ and His Church. 

Second, this is time for me to commit you to God’s grace.

The time has come for me to say goodbye, my friends. I regret that I depart when our beloved church is going through a very challenging time. Besides the various pandemics to face and cultural and societal environments that are not conducive to the church, our denomination is having a time of profound uncertainties and is likely to take a painful journey toward a potential denominational separation. It breaks our hearts as our sisters and brothers in Christ are facing a prospect of choosing separate ways of being a church. 

In the 20th Chapter of Acts, from Miletus, Paul sent to Ephesus for the elders of the church. Knowing that it would be his last time to see them, he wanted to have a personal moment with them before his trip to Jerusalem. As he is saying his farewell to the leaders of Ephesus, he leaves them with some parting words from his heart. While the times and contexts are completely different, Paul’s words as paraphrased in Acts 20:32 by Eugene Peterson speak eloquently to what I have in mind for a moment like this. He wrote, “Now I’m turning you over to God, our marvelous God whose gracious Word can make you into what God wants you to be and give you everything you could possibly need in this community of holy friends.”

My sisters and brothers, with the utmost confidence, I am turning you over to God and to the word of God’s grace. 

I have observed and heard of many annual conference sessions throughout the connection that can get very intense where people often do harm to each other by their words and actions. But as your Bishop I have found that you have shown a consistent pattern of being kind, considerate, and thoughtful to one another and are spiritually focused and prayerful as you discern and decide on critical matters of the church with the mission of the church in mind as your top priority. You do not shy away from your differences, but you continue to show that you love one another by the way you discuss and debate issues that are close to your heart. Indeed, you so faithfully demonstrate what it means to be a church alive in Christ together for the sake of the mission of making disciples and transforming the world. 

While your passion is evident for what you believe, what is more evident is the presence of grace. You always try your best to demonstrate a benevolent spirit and actions even in the midst of struggles. Grace never leaves the room.

Paul said to the Elders of the church, “And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there…. However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God’s grace.” (Acts 20:22) 

Paul’s journey after his conversion was about testifying to God’s grace. It’s no wonder that his last word to them was “grace”. 

We are God’s people who are redeemed by grace. To say grace saved me isn’t enough. Grace saved even me. Like Paul, we know that our journey in the faith is about testifying to the good news of God’s grace in Jesus Christ.

We are compelled to take the journey to the unknown future.

But the grace of God is far greater than our thoughts and surpasses our understanding. Grace will continue to lead you and me into God’s preferred future. 

So with confidence, I commit you to God and God’s grace for such a time as this. “Indeed, the God who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the Day of Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 1:6) 

Third, this is time to dance

I have been most richly blessed to have traveled the hills and valleys, the farmland, and the rural areas, small towns, suburban, and the cities of the Susquehanna Conference to visit our churches and people. Lisa and I immensely enjoyed the times we had in worship and fellowship all over the place in our conference. 

Wherever I visited I shared with our people a message that we are a church alive in Christ together. 

We worship and serve the living God. As God’s people, there is no other way to be, but alive!

Jesus said, “I came to give you life, an abundant life.” (John 10:10) There is no other way to be in Jesus but alive.

The Church is the living Body of Christ. There is no other way to be a church but alive.

We want every one of our churches to be a church alive as a vital congregation in the most exciting, vibrant, and blissful way.

What does a church alive in Christ look like?”

A singing church is a church alive. I am a singing Bishop. What do you expect?

The Hymn sing was an integral part of my faith formation and spiritual development. I grew up with many Gospel songs that were sung frequently at the revival meetings or camp meetings. Singing hymns and praises feeds my soul and uplifts my spirit. Indeed, when I sing, the spirit comes alive within me. I feel energized and blessed. It’s no wonder that I love to sing!

A praising church is a church alive

A praying church is a church alive

A giving church is a church alive

A church that goes into the Word and into the world is a church alive.

A church in mission is a church alive and so on…

However, wherever I went I lifted up one of the fruits of the Spirit to illustrate a church alive in Christ: The fruit of the spirit I lifted up was joy. A joyful church is a church alive!

We are the people of the gospel of the good news of great joy for all people. If we don’t have joy, what’s the point? 

Church is not a building, not a steeple, not a resting place but people.

Joyful people make a joyful church. 

The joy we are talking about is not what the world can give nor take away from us.

It’s the joy that comes from the love of God in Jesus Christ.

That we are God’s beloved, that God’s love for us is unconditional, steadfast and everlasting, that God never ever grows weary of loving us, that God’s love is far greater than our understanding, and that God loves us not because of who we are but because of who God is, makes us a joyful people, a joyful church. Joy comes from a love like that.

 We remember Jesus’ words in John 13 verses 34-35: 

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples. If you love one another.”

Two chapters later Jesus says, “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.” (John 15:12)

The message for us? There’s no other way to be God’s people but to love one another. 

Our theme for this Annual Conference is “A Vision of the Beloved Community.” I really see in you a glimpse of the beloved community of Christ. That gives me a reason for the joy that I have.

The biblical and lasting image of joy is dance. God chose to put you and me together for 9 years. It was in God’s wisdom that we would make good dance partners in and through the ministry of the Susquehanna Conference. In humbleness and with gratitude – I believe we made great dance partners. 

Indeed, memories of my 9 years here among you will continue to flood my soul with joy and thanksgiving.

So I will keep dancing. 

My dear sisters and brothers of the Susquehanna Conference, you have my prayers and best wishes as I commit you to God’s grace. I am confident that you are in good hands as capable, gifted and grace-filled Bishops Sandra Steiner Ball and Cynthia Moore-Koikoi will lead and serve you. May God continue to richly bless and honor you and your ministry and your journey ahead, all to God’s glory. Amen and amen.

Let me have a moment of personal privilege. 

Lisa, you’re the best dance partner I can ask for. I am privileged to have the best wife and you are the best mom for Cathy and Matthew, and their spouses George and Joyce, and you are the best grandma Gemma, Penelope, Eugenie and Eli can have, you are a blessing to all of us beyond description. Lisa, how can I thank my God enough for the joy I have because of you? With you, I know that the best days of our lives are yet to come and am looking forward to our common journey ahead in joy and peace with gratitude.

So, “I will go dancing, I will go dancing, I will go dancing in my soul …”