Thursday, April 3, 2014

Growing Effective Churches welcomes new Administrative Assistant

Rev. Margaret (Peggy) Spengler is the new Administrative Assistant in the office of Congregational Development.

The Rev. Margaret (Peggy) Spengler began working with Growing Effective Churches in April, 2014.

Peggy is an ordained elder of the United Methodist Church (retired). In her most recent appointment she was part of the initial group of pastors and churches to move through the Matthew 28 process beginning in 2009.

Below is what Pastor Spengler shares about herself and her ministry:
“I am a child of God, daughter of the King with a deep desire to be part of “Growing Effective Churches” for the Kingdom of God.

“I have served churches in Durham, NC; Birmingham, Alabama; Denver, Colorado, Altoona, Chambersburg, Montandon/Milton, Mechanicsburg, and Newburg, Pennsylvania.

“After serving United Methodist Churches for 26 ½ years, I retired last July 2013, after 10 years of service with the Newburg United Methodist Church. The last years of my ministry with the folks at Newburg was being part of the Matthew 28 Initiative. The benefits we received from Matthew 28 helped us to reorganize our ministry to make effective disciples of Jesus Christ and reach out in mission and ministry to the community.

“My positive experience at Newburg with the Matthew 28 Initiative lead me to another Matthew 28 church in retirement, Fishing Creek Salem UMC, where I have participated in, and watched the growth and change in their ministry over the last 6 months.

“I am excited about becoming a part of “Growing Effective Churches” with Rev. Dr. Dennis Otto, Director of Congregational Development. As we work together to enable pastors and congregations to develop their potential as instruments of God for the purpose of “[making] disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.” (U.M. Mission statement)

“I live in my retirement home in Mechanicsburg. I am the mother of three children and grandmother of eight. My goal in retirement is to be a mentor, advocate and prayer warrior for all 12 children/grandchildren! Along with my ministry to my family is my call to the contemplative life. I have taken the course in Spiritual Direction through the Center for Spiritual Direction and am now taking an additional course, Spiritual Direction/Spiritual Guide through Oasis Ministries.

“As you begin working with Dennis and myself, know that your churches: congregations and pastor(s) will be held up in prayer.”