Friday, July 6, 2018

Behind the Scenes: Telling our stories

By Shawn Gilgore, Director of Communications Ministry

Telling stories. It’s something that we all do, it’s a human characteristic.

In the weeks after Annual Conference, I was asked to help chronicle the history of Uriah United Methodist Church for the celebrations of their 140th anniversary. Talking to some of their members, I was struck by how clearly they all remembered very specific details of their times and the growing ministry of their church.

Luke 8:39 says, “Return home and tell the story of what God has done for you.” (CEB) And that is what this experience felt like. So many people returned home to Uriah to share their stories. With a history that stretched back to 1878, there were so many things that everyone could’ve spoken about. But, there was a special focus on what kind of future they wanted for their church.

Joann Day, a Uriah member for over 65 years said, “I would want them to make sure that they should be dedicated to the Lord. Take that commitment very seriously. And if you’re asked to do something and help, don’t say ‘I can’t.’ Say ‘I’ll try.’”

These words have really resonated with me, even in the past few days. In my new role here at the Conference, it’s often felt like each and every day a new challenge presents itself. And through everything, honestly, I’ve sometimes felt ill-equipped to handle it all. But hearing these words felt different.

Many times I’ve asked God “Are You sure?” And I know the answer, and I’m not trying to second-guess God’s plan; I guess it’s my reaction to where He’s leading me. Uncertainty. But, I know He’s done so much for me and will continue to do so. And the same is true for our churches and for our Conference. What He has led us through and where we have been are just the beginning.

So, even as tough as it is, I’ll be promising God that whatever He asks of me, I will be responding in only one way from now on: “I’ll try.”