Friday, July 6, 2018

Finding the right pace

By Rev. Jason Mackey, Director of Connectional Ministries

I believe stories are important. You get to know a lot about a person by listening to their stories and the details they include. To tell you a little bit about me, I want to tell you a story.

Two years ago, I did something insane. I decided to enter a triathlon. It wasn’t an Ironman, that would be absolute suicide. It was an international, which is a one-mile swim, 25-mile bike ride, and a six-mile run. It took me just over three hours to cross the finish line, and I felt relieved and amazed. I have never considered myself to be athletic, and I had only run my first 5K one year earlier. Nonetheless, I had made a promise to myself that I was going to do this.

Back in January Bishop Park called me into his office and had a crazy idea (though he wouldn’t call it an “idea.” I’m pretty sure the term he used was “appointment”). When he asked me to be the Director of Connectional Ministries, I was stunned. I was humbled. I was honored. But I was also terrified. I could think of a dozen people whom I thought were more qualified, more experienced, more deserving. And yet he was clear, “Jason, this is your appointment.” I had to do this.

Over the past few months as the shock has worn off, and I’ve slowly transitioned into this new role, working closely with Tom [Salsgiver] and Cabinet, meeting the staff, and preparing for Annual Conference, it has reminded me of training for my triathlon. Twelve weeks before the race, I began a focused training regimen. The workouts started out short and built over time. As your stamina grows, you start to see that you really can do this, but you also discover what you have yet to learn.


For the race, I started watching YouTube videos, reading Triathlon magazine, and talking to experienced racers. Coming into the conference office, I feel blessed to have already had a good deal of training. From seminary at Evangelical, to working with the Young Pastors Network, Lewis Fellows, the Board of Pensions & Health, the Sessions Committee for Annual Conference, and having served at CrossPoint, Harrisburg, and Trinity UMC, Hummelstown,I have great tools at my disposal. But I also know what I need to learn. I have a stack of 20-plus books to read by August, and I’m signed up for two conferences!

Of course, the most important thing I learned when training was the importance of setting your own pace. If you don’t, you’ll wear yourself out or get hurt. When you find your groove, there’s a peace and a rhythm that allows you to run all day. This new position is no different. I have to find my pace, meeting the needs of the conference while also nurturing my relationship with God, who provides the wisdom and peace needed to lead.

So I make this promise to you. I will do this to the best of my ability, committed and focused, willing to learn and ready to find my pace.

Let’s run.