September – 100 years ago
The Allegheny Conference of the United Brethren Church met September 21-26, 1915, and regrouped its 26 church buildings between the Juniata River and Penns Creek into five circuits as follows:
- East Salem – East Salem, Brown’s, Whiteland, Richfield, Mt. Zion.
- Middleburg – Middleburg, New Berlin, Hummels, Kissimmee, Ebenzer, Freemont, Freeburg.
- Union [New Buffalo] – Hill, Reward, Bucks, Center Union.
- Liverpool – Liverpool, Salem, Pfoutz Valley.
- Susquehanna – St. Thomas, Paradise, St. Johns, Markwood, McKee’s Half Falls, Zion.
One hundred years later, over half of those congregations are still in ministry and exactly half of those buildings still house current United Methodist congregations.
The conference also passed two resolutions indicative of the times.
- “WHEREAS, We believe that women should be extended the privilege of the ballot … RESOLVED, That the delegates to the annual meeting of the Allegheny Conference of the United Brethren in Christ be urged to endorse woman suffrage.”
- RESOLVED, That this Conference go on record as endorsing the plan of the Anti-Saloon League for national prohibition in 1920; and as cooperating with our estimable Governor in his fight for a local option law in our State.”
October – 50 years ago
In the Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Church, the Conference Board of Hospitals and Homes fixed October 17 and 24, 1965, as the dates for the annual Harvest Home Services – times for gathering foodstuffs, cash, and other supplies for the Methodist Home for Children and the Epworth Manor Retirement Home. While home-canned fruits and vegetables continued to be the most desired items, the publicity included this timely update: “Cash gifts have been on the increase in recent years, due to fewer gardens and less canning. Cash is always welcome and usable, and we can buy to considerable advantage at wholesale prices. Do not use cash money for purchase of canned goods.” It was also noted that congregations could send money for specific projects and that “for years the New Cumberland congregation has designated their cash money to the Children’s Home for pajamas and shirts” and “Camp Hill requests that their offering be used for jeans and trousers.” Congregations desiring suggested projects were invited to contact superintendent V.B. Hann of the Children’s Home or administrator H.W. Glassco of Epworth Manor.