Thursday, March 14, 2019

Celebrate UMCOR Sunday and Turn Love into Action


The United Methodist Church has six church-wide Special Sundays with offerings and UMCOR Sunday is one of them. UMCOR Sunday, on March 31, calls United Methodists to share the goodness of life with those who hurt. When you give on UMCOR Sunday (formerly One Great Hour of Sharing), you empower the United Methodist Committee on Relief to act as the arms and legs of Christ’s church. Your giving lays the foundation for UMCOR to share God’s love with communities everywhere and help the most vulnerable in their darkest days. www.umcgiving.org/ministry-articles/one-great-hour-of-sharing

For over 75 years, UMCOR has helped people in crisis all over the world. Since 1940, when it’s forerunner was established to meet the needs of those suffering overseas at the onset of World War II, UMCOR continues to respond to those in desperate need throughout the United States and in more than eighty countries around the world.

The response of UMCOR is not something “they” do, it is something “we” do. On UMCOR Sunday, we gather to celebrate and give generously to cover the relief agency’s annual operational and administrative costs so that UMCOR may apply 100% of other donations directly to relief efforts.

Will you consider giving to UMCOR? Will you continue to help meet the needs of the children, families and communities who have experienced devastation in the wake of disaster? When we meet the needs of those who suffer we actually minister to Jesus, who said:

“For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me” (Matthew 25:35-36).

Your generous giving will make a difference and serve as an example of how it is possible to turn compassion and love into action.

* * *

For more information on UMCOR or the Susquehanna Disaster Response Ministry, please contact Doug Hoy, Conference Disaster Response Coordinator, at 717-766-7441, ext. 3402 or by e-mailing drc@susumc.org


Community members walk past a food distribution site for the United Methodist Committee on Relief following Typhoon Haiyan in Dagami, Philippines, in 2013. A UMNS photo by Mike DuBose.