Thursday, March 14, 2019

Connecting Ministries - Reflecting on the 2019 General Conference


Rev. Jason Mackey,
Director of Connecting Ministries


I had never been to General Conference before. I’m not sure what I expected, but I think it’s safe to say that this Special Called Session was like nothing anyone has ever experienced before.
Imagine trying to hold a family meeting with 1,000 of your relatives. Then imagine trying to have an intimate, worshipful experience in a space that’s designed to seat 65,000 people. And finally, be sure to include fundamentalist protesters screaming hate through a bull horn from across the street. It really sets the scene for something great, doesn’t it?

Needless to say, the Conference did not produce the kind of finality that our church needs. With pending rulings from Judicial Council, another General Conference only 14 months away, and vows to openly defy our Discipline, the question is anything but settled.

A friend of mine said at the end of the Conference, “I don’t want to hurt people anymore.” That’s so true, and yet, collectively our church is struggling to be faithful to such a heart cry. The current Traditional Plan does not allow room for progressives to live out their theological convictions, but anything less than this plan might be seen as infringing on the theological convictions of some traditionalists.

Personally, I believe change is necessary. I believe our covenant as a connectional system calls us to passionately defend convictions on both sides. We are not defined by our episcopacy or our congregationalism, but rather the network of clergy and congregations connecting in ministry. Our healthy relationships with one another are foundational. Naturally then, I struggle with a call for civil disobedience in order to spark change. While I respect it and appreciate the heart behind it, I personally cannot decide on where the line must be drawn between advocacy and covenantal connection.

What I do know is that the Susquehanna Conference is a cultural enigma in the scope of the General Church. We do not play political games. We do not try to posture or create voting blocs when considering business or resolutions. We consider the merit of every matter on its own and we faithfully ask God’s Spirit to guide our choices. We don’t have a spirit for fighting and I am proud and grateful to be part of a conference that values our relationships over politics. To me, it means that when it comes to the question of same-sex marriage and LGBTQ ordination we see beyond an issue to the actual persons it represents.

I am not positive where our church will land, but I know the values that guide my conversations and the conversations of my brothers and sisters throughout our conference. I know that for each one of us, the mission of making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world, comes first. I pray that we might soon come to a resolution that can satisfy us all, and in the meantime, I thank you for faithfully and lovingly continuing this conversation together.